Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Two PTR records same IP?

Status
Not open for further replies.

slimjim005

Technical User
Oct 30, 2006
US
Can I setup two PTR records both having the same IP?

74.8.68.246 PTR record: mail.hlthres.com

However the server name is different and I have companies telling me unless I have a PTR record pointing to <servername>.hlthres.com with ip 74.8.68.246 they will block my mail.

Can I have another PTR record (in addition to) that reads:

74.8.68.246 PTR record: <servername>.hlthres.com

Thanks-

It sounds like you are really looking for a reverse DNS for your mail server. Check with your hosting company or ISP.

We have reverse setup already.....

The issue seems to be that the mail actully has a header stamp of <servername>.hlthres.com NOT mail.hlthres.com

sounds like your outgoing mail is picking up the external IP address of your firewall that is associated with the other RDNS record.

Change your firewall IP address that is associated with SMTP so that they match - then they'll probably unblock you.

actually, depending on what software you are using for your mail server (postfix, sendmail, etc), this should be easily configurable. In Postfix, it's a single line at the top of main.cf configuration file. I would change this configuration directive. That should solve it.

Email from Exchange use the external IP address that the port 25 is defined on the firewall. I've tested and confirmed that for Exchange. I don't know about other mail systems...but would assign a Cisco firewall would be consistent with other products as well...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back