Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Two private IP address's to same Public?

Status
Not open for further replies.

flaz

IS-IT--Management
May 23, 2002
US
We are upgrading our Exchange 5.5 to a new server in a different domain. We are moving the mailbox's over one by one. Is there a way to have mail sent to the new server and the old server at the same time? We have one public address that all email is directed to. Once we move the mailbox we don't want to loose any emails.
Can we do an inside/outside to more then one inside address's?
flaz

I'm not a router expert but I don't think the One to Two IP thing will work.

Why move them one at a time though? If I was doing this I would create the new machine by restoring a backup of my current one to the new one.

Then as long as you don't do another full back up you coud keep the two synched by log backups on the live one and restoring those to the new one.

Hi

So you have for example a smtp addy for a user of fred@abc.com and he is moving to the new server is he changing his addy to fred@xyz.com?

but your external is only @abc.com if so then you can set exchange to forward all messages for @xyz.com too the new server.

We have our mail relay set to send @abc.com and @xyz.com to the same IP addy but we are in the NHS and not directly onto the internet so i dont know how that works in the real worlds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back