Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Two PDCs (sic!) in same domain ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

hb307

IS-IT--Management
Aug 20, 2001
DE
Howdy fellas!

This is not strictly W2k Server but I think it fits best here.

During a visit at a customer (Problem with Exchange to Linux ISP mail) I found two PDCs running.

Another "SE" had set up an E2k server offsite (complete with DNS, AD) and choose the same domain name (NETBIOS) as in the production network (still on NT4). I'm not really sure resp. could find out whether the E2k was first strictly for a test environment. But the two DCs could reach each other during my stay.

I told the person in charge that they will come into trouble - and bang it happened: logins rejected, no SAM access etc.

I shut down both PDCs - restarted NT4 PDC and then E2k. Now the problems went away. The I suggested that they should make an upgrade. As E2k had only 4-5 (test -remember?) users on it I opted for wiping the E2k and reinstalling.

The customer didn't react for months (sic! again). So I assumed they did it with another supporter.

Now they called for help again. But: No more testdrive E2k - this box went productive! 40 users on it!!!

Shit.

I tend to keep the E2k now (time and size to export mailboxes) and to wipe the PDC on NT4. But what happens to the BDCs? Will they accept the new one?
Then do an import via net user commands with the missing users.
Export shares and permissions and using rmtshare or similar.

Still more Q.s and hunting for ideas and a discussion.

Harald

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back