Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Two PCs- One set of speakers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bandit77

MIS
Mar 11, 2002
US
Hey All!
I was wondering the best way to run multiple PCs with a single set of speakers. I'm running the machines through a KVM and want to share speakers, as well. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks! If it ain't broke, it will be when I'm done with it.

Not thru an electronic KVM switch. Through a mechanical switch will be OK. Pick 2 lines the mouse doesn't use and splice into the the connectors. Ed Fair
unixstuff@juno.com
Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

Thanks Ed.
I am indeed running through an electronic KVM. Maybe I'll just use a "y" adapter. That should work, shouldn't it? If it ain't broke, it will be when I'm done with it.

Yeah, that would work...there is another option (althought the y cable would be better).

You can go from PC 1's audio out to PC 2's line in. Then go from PC 2's audio out to the speakers. almost all sound cards will allow this without any problems. Your issus, however, will be--
1) both PCs must be on for PC 1 to get audio
2) PC 2's software volume control will affect the volume of PC 1
3) sometimes you will get buzzing in the speakers from all of those connections.

Y adapter isn't a good idea. You have no idea what voltages might be output. You could do a "Y" if you put some current limiting resistors in place but otherwise better off not doing it. Ed Fair
unixstuff@juno.com
Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

A "Y" adapter will allow whichever computer your using to see the other computers audio output as another speaker. This will:
a) change overall impedance that operating puter sees effecting both sound quality and speaker loudness.
b) will also allow a signal current to leak into the non-operating puter which may not be good for audio or other devices.
Some sort of switch, either mechanical or electronic in most advisable. "Inter faeces et urinam, nascimur."

At networld yesterday I saw the Belkin KVM switch with audio switching. There is a commercial answer. Ed Fair
unixstuff@juno.com

.....There are 'Y' type cables that are built specifically for your purpose. I can not recall a specific brand name, but I have seen them at computer retailers for about $15.00, and they have the resistors built into them. Look around and you'll find them!

I want to thank everyone for their help. I think I'll get an A-B switch and go that route. It seems like the best way within a budget.
Ed, did you happen to notice the model # of the KVM switch you mentioned? I might try and save some pennies for that in the future.
Thanks again, all. If it ain't broke, it will be when I'm done with it.

Nah, just saw the box and the prominent wording. Wasn't spending much time at booths, actually not spending much time at the show. The paper reported this morning that the sponsoring organization is re-evaluating after the bust this year. Ed Fair
unixstuff@juno.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back