Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Two Paragraph Styles on the sme line

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrFry

Technical User
May 5, 2009
US
How do you put two paragraph styles on the same line? Example:

I have a Minor Heading paragraph style that I use most often. Left Indent is 12 pt., right indent is 239 pt (page is 5.5"x8.5"). The Body Text that follows has a left indent of 112.32 pt.

I want to have the Minor Heading text on the same line as the first line of the Body Text, like this

Minor Heading Body Text
Body Text
Body Text
Body Text

How would I accomplish this?

Nested Styles did not work because there is no way to make any Minor Heading Text act or behave like Body Text. Thus, I cannot get the Body Text portion to move up to the same line as the Minor Heading Text.

Also, it is not possible, by using nested styles, to get the Body Text portion of text to indent to 112.32 pt, as the Minor Heading portion is only indented 12 pt.

So, while I did get the text to change font size for the remainder of the Minor Heading paragraph style, that is the most I could do.

DrFry

Thanks apepp.

While Hanging Side Heads does work, it is a cumbersome process. I was hoping for something simple and direct like Corel Ventura has where you can set up the heading to automatically be "inline" with the next paragraph. The requisite method for ID is clumsy, requiring several steps in order to produce the desired result. A document with many such headings will require far too much labor just to set up the Hanging Side Heads.

Hopefully Adobe will make a fix for this issue.

Thank you again.

...indeed...

...for long technical documents adobe have framemaker 9, aimed at technical writers, the features there have been kept away from indesign, for the time being anyway, CS4 has only just provided cross reference capabilities...

...i think adobe are careful with what features indesign should have included, and that comes pretty much down to money and long term future, as opposed to what users really want an application to achieve in covering every possible scenario in one application...

...indesign has always been aimed at trying to knock quark off its top step within the newspaper/magazine/general graphic design markets...

...perhaps in the future adobe will integrate more powerful functions for long technical documents, until then people have to find workaround solutions, or buy extra software...

andrew

I'm telling you now. That nested styles is the way to do it.

I used Ventura and while it's a good typesetting package it's completely pants compared to InDesign.

The only thing is InDesign does it differently than Ventura. You're still trying to do things the Ventura way, and that won't work in InDesign. You have to embrace InDesigns tools and accept the InDesign way of doing things.

There's very few steps in creating this style and layout. I do enough of them to know.

If you want help with setting it up you can send me a sample file of what you want to accomplish and I'll set up the style for you and you'll see what I mean on how to do it.

Eugene:

I appreciate your offer, so much so that I am accepting it. I have sent you a file (Nested Styles.indd) for you to rework for me.

Thank you so much.

I'm up to my eyes in work at the moment. I got your file and I'll look into it as soon as I get a chance. Off camping for the weekend so it probably won't be till Monday. If I've gone to print with my own work by then that is.

No problem at all. Enjoy your weekend and get your work finished first. I asm not going anywhere. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back