Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Two (or more) Dial Up modem connections

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigEd77

IS-IT--Management
Oct 6, 2003
US
I have a customer who cannot get ANY broadband internet access. (Other than Satellite, and he's not too keen about that.) He presently has three analog data lines coming into his shop. We were using a webramp to control and bind the internet connections for use by the clients on his Windows 2003 Small Business Server network. We have gone through three webramps in the past 6 months. They die like flies.

Anyone out there know how I could set up a PC with either linix or Windows XP, preferably XP since I have NO experience with Linix, to bind three modems into one connection and share it over the network? We are tired of replacing Webramps.

I think Win XP has something built in to bind two modems. I've never heard of binding three. But you might be able to use two pairs...
.bh.

He who dares not offend cannot be honest. -- Thomas Paine.

According to what I've been able to find out you can use XP to bind modems. I'm presently installing three modems in a XP Pro box and going to set them to "Negotiate multi-link for single link connections" and will see if that will do the trick. I will keep everyone informed on how this works.

I tried XP Pro. You can bind two modems for multi-link, but then cannot share the internet connection of both. Only one. Anyone have any ideas on how to get three modems muli-plexing on one computer, AND share the connections to a network????? Other than Webramp.

Ever tried a Netopia router before? I have a dual 56k modem model in a box in the corner that is several years old and still works like a charm.

The Netopia R2020 allows a third external modem for up to 168kbps.
Ebay would only command around $100 for a used one...

Sept. 19 is Talk Like a Pirate Day!
[pirate]

You have a problem that bonding is at ISP level and they like a fat premium, or they cannot be bothered to support what is condidered 'legacy' technology, despite the fact thats the only way things can get done.

Your webramp used a different technology of running 3 seperate lines and allocating them one at a time to users, so any 1 download was locked to 56K.

A good article on how these work (or don't)

The other way this is being done is by winXP itself.... not sure how that would work.. probably doesn't.

You can buy satellite service if you need it for under 1000 that is 56k upload but 2mbit download, but I know little about it and you should research it yourself.

Matthew

The Universe: God's novelty screensaver?

I don't know much about web ramps, but I guess that explains why they only go for around $15 used.

The netopias don't have that problem, but your ISP does need to support MultiLink PPP(MLPPP) for it to create it's "virtual pipe".
They also have 2 POTS connections on the router for a fax machine and outbound telephone calls.

Considering Dial-up ISP's should be begging for your service these days, I can't believe they would not be happy to oblige.

In that case the netopia seems like a worthwhile investment, and I would hope you are right about the dial-up isps.

Demon have a webpage about it so they might support the protocol.

Matthew

The Universe: God's novelty screensaver?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back