Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Two NICs, cannot connect through one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

paltask14c

IS-IT--Management
Aug 27, 2002
US
Current setup is a windows 2000 server w/ sp3, running exchange 2000. I have 2 network cards, one hooked up to the internal lan (with 10. ip addresses) and the other hooked into the T1. The connection through the T1 is sporadic, and when it goes down, i can disable the internal lan connection and re-enable it and then the t1 connection will work again for a brief time. Any ideas? i've swapped both cards out w/ fresh ones. Matching brands/mis matching brands. I've even swapped the ip addresses on the two original cards. The T1 (external ip address) is the one that always goes out. The only thing you have to know is how to find the answer.

If it weren't for users, computers would work just fine....If computers worked I'd be unemployed!

It sounds like you're suffering from a classic IRQ conflict. Are both cards PNP? They may be fighting for the same IRQ. Try assigning one of them an open IRQ and see if you have any luck.

The other thing I was wondering is whether or not you had this configuration working prior to your SP3 installation?

DId you check event viewer?
When you say connection down or lost, you mean you don't receive ping responses at all outside your LAN ,or is that internet doesnt work? A+, MCP, CCNA
marbinpr@hotmail.com

Keep fighting for your knowledge!

Definately check the event viewer for messages, even if they don't seem related. I had a similiar problem here one time on some NT machines because WINS/NetBios was enabled on both NIC's, except I didn't have the intermitent problems, it just didn't work.

Andrew

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back