Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Two LUNS in an A1000 with Different Size Disks

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevenriz

IS-IT--Management
May 21, 2001
Here's a good one. I have two LUNs in an A1000 box. One LUN is all 18gb drives and the other LUN is all 9gb drives. I also have one 18gb hot spare drive ready to go in the event a drive crashed whether it be one of the 9's or the 18's. Now if one of the 9gb drives went offline, the 18gb hot spare will obtain the 9gb's data. Now when I go to replace the 9gb, do I need to put an 18gb drive in it's place or will a 9gb drive do? The reason I ask is because an 18gb drive has just taken over for the original 9gb that failed.

Either way I put an 18 in there to be safe.

Whaddayathink??

I never used the A1000 (just had some D1000s) and have no clue , so I'm just guessing: if a 9GB disk fails the HS disk just replaces the failed 9GB, the rest of the disk is unused; just replace the 9GB disk by a good one and reanable this in (?) RM 6.22

Best Regards, Franz
--
UNIX System Manager from Munich, Germany

To be honest, Steven, I think I'd go belt and braces and replace it with another 18Gb. But then again, I'm just a wimp ;-)

usually computers are nitpickers; I suggest to replace the failed 9BG by another 9BG and ask the software for a restore. If it is not big enough the software will call for another disk/more space and nobody needs to be a wimp... ;-)

Best Regards, Franz
--
UNIX System Manager from Munich, Germany

I went with an 18. Anyway I think I will test this out on a test machine and report back....

Wimps rule!!

Steven - will be interested in your findings, thanks.

me too, if I only now had the time to spare to do it. Just had a major crash yesterday morning. Three disks in a 4 disk array all crashed at once. I wouldn't have believe it if I didn't see it. :(

I am just glad it was a weekend so no work was done on that system since the weekend backup... which thankfully we offload to another server after the backup completes....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back