Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Two HTTP servers for 1 IP office system 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

hcmbmt

Technical User
Jan 15, 2008
VN
Same IP Phone models J139 are used for both Guest and Admin but must load different Background and screensaver.
Is it possible if we build 1 more HTTP server for the Guest phone? Then Guest phones will load 46xxspecials, firmware, 46xxsettings.txt from this HTTP server?
If yes, any recommendation HTTP server should I use? Or any idea to solve this requirement?

Use one server and look at using the Group option. Make picture settings for guest phones the default, and for non-guest phones, give them a group number so they pickup a different set of images.

IF $GROUP 1 GOTO HOUSE

# GUEST
## J159
SET BACKGROUND_IMAGE "J159main01.jpg,J159main02.jpg"
SET BACKGROUND_IMAGE_DISPLAY J159back01.jpg
GOTO END

# HOUSE
GOTO END

END

(rough example, a spent maybe 1 minute on it)

Stuck in a never ending cycle of file copying.

Thanks sizbut,
Then I just create a new group and add all guest ext into this group? The group number is extension number of Group?
Group_Pic_yr56xe.jpg

No, different type of group. Avaya IP phones can be given a group vavvalue through their admin menus. Then when the phone reads the settings files, its group number can be used to chose which of the settings are applied to it as per my example.

@sizbut.
Then we must manual change the group number of one by one phone via phone setting? We have more than 500 rooms.

No, leave the guest/room phones alone (at default - which I think is group id 0). You only need to change the group id on the house phones which I assume is less than 500. And your going to have to do something on each phone anyway during its initial install. Even with your original idea you would have had to tell the phones which of the two file servers to use.

... you can also branch a phone's reading of a settings files on the model, IP address, MAC address and subnet ($MODEL4, $IPADD, $MACADDR and $SUBNET), but you've already said all the phones are J139 phones. And using any of the others would just be a lot of work.

If you can't do it with group ID then you're really starting to get into the realm of an Avaya DES server, but that's not used for IP Office systems.

make sure you change the phone password from CRAFT to something else. Sometimes phone guys stay in hotels or hackers or just teenagers that feel mischievous.

Joe
FHandw, ACSS, ACIS

"Dew knot truss yore Spell Cheque

I would make sure the two types of phones are on separate VLANs and build a new folder on the IPO - like /guest

Then you could have and and use the HTTPDIR parameter in DHCP option 242 on the guest VLAN to make those phones look in that folder specifically.

You'll need more than just 46xxsettings.txt - you'll need to put firmware and J100upgrade.txt in there too, but that's at least one way I can think of doing it without using groups.

I know on CM you can set groups for H323 phones in the station form, but it doesn't look like IPO supports that.

Anyway, that's my $0.02 on the subject.

*EDIT - didn't see sizbut's comments about separating by $SUBNET in the settings file. I didn't know that. I think that's probably the best way to do it.

@sizbutt,
I changed the Group number of phone and it loads modified background as expected. Thanks a lot for your help.
@Westi,
Noted. Will change the default password to avoid that situation.
@all,
I did test the two HTTP server solution and it also works well. Guest and Admin phones sit in different network then Option 242 we point to different HTTP server. But have to manage 2 servers make more trouble in the future. I will go with suggestion of Sizbutt.

good luck hcmbmt

Joe
FHandw, ACSS, ACIS

"Dew knot truss yore Spell Cheque

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back