Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Two harddrives but one doesn't show up.. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tejanorey

Technical User
Mar 23, 2002
US
I had the computer made for me by a friend...he doesn't understand why it doesn't show up the second hardrive..they are both the same brand and size (40 gigs).

When I look at the Device Manager it shows:

When I look at the My Computer window it shows:

What can I do to fix this? The BIOS are at the default settings and show both harddrives one as master and one as slave.

Tejanorey

"Do not attack the First Marine Division. Leave the yellowlegs alone. Strike the American Army."
- Orders given to Communist troops in the Korean War; shortly afterward, the Marines were ordered to not wear their khaki leggings to keep the enemy from immediately fleeing

Tejanorey,

Format it. MyComputer will not indicate drives that are not formatted.

An easy method is to use the drive mfg tools loaded either in windows or as a bootable disk. Take care not to select the drive with the OS installed if not in windows.

If you do not have the drive mfg's disk the program can be downloaded from their site.

Hope this helps

rvnguy
"I know everything..I just can't remember it all

If you are working in win98 then you want to format the drive as fat32.
If in win xp home or pro, then you have a choice. Maybe you might want to see what your c drive is formatted and follow suit and format the drive same as the c drive.

Good advice + great people = tek-tips

here is a print screen of what i'm seeing and talking about..

I was told to format the one that is not showing up..but i don't know how to do that or which one is the one that is not working...somebody please help.

Tejanorey

"Do not attack the First Marine Division. Leave the yellowlegs alone. Strike the American Army."
- Orders given to Communist troops in the Korean War; shortly afterward, the Marines were ordered to not wear their khaki leggings to keep the enemy from immediately fleeing

Run disk management (run diskmgmnt.msc)

Unhook one drive from the ide cable, the drive on the end of the cable should be your c drive. Since your pc is running and booting to windows then its the other hard drive, the drive that is not on the end. To make sure, just unhook that one from the ide cable and unhook the power to it as well. Then boot up. If your pc boots to windows then that is your second drive that you have unhooked, it should be that way. This is just to show you which drive is which.
That drive should be set as a slave. Its possible your friend has it set as master still. One is master and the other is the slave. Your h drive that boots to windows is the master, so the other that isnt showing up is your slave and should be jumpered as slave. You have to go to maxtor website, find the drive and print out the jumper setting and make sure the drive is jumpered as slave.
Then you should be able to hook it back into the system, boot to windows, go to disk management and format it.
If that doesnt work then you can get yourself a win98 boot disk from bootdisk.com and format it from dos. You would have to format it again to NTFS once you get it installed and boot to windows and go to disk managment.

Good advice + great people = tek-tips

It sounds to me as if your drive may not be partitioned. An unpartitioned drive will not display in My Computer.

If diskmgmt.msc did not solve your problem, try to boot with the XP installation media and choose the rescue option. You should be able to run FDISK and create a partition on that drive.

pansophic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back