Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Two Failed Disks in Raid 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

loni9195

ISP
Mar 5, 2003
US
Hello, I recently started supporting an old Dell 6300 with Win2K. It has a Perc2/SC Raid Controller. It contains 6 Seagate disks; Disk 0 is configured as Raid 0 and Disks 1 through 5 are Raid 5. Disks 1 and 2 have failed. The problem is the office never performed backups and by the time I started supporting, the disks had already failed. I was able to bring the server back online with the three remaining disks, but the disks with the data on it does not appear. Is there a way I can get to the data with two failed disks?

Do you know wether the disks spin up ok? Can the RAID controller see the disks at all.

If the disks are ok then recovery software may be able to help. I will need more info to be able to help though.

I've got an identical problem with a Dell Poweredge 6300, with a slight twist. Of the three 9GB Cheetah SCSI hard drives, two failed.

What did you do to recover your lost data?

Had same problem of multiple disk going off line, but not on a Dell....

Some of the Cheetah 15k and 10k u320 drives with a firmware version < 006 have a problem. (search Seagate site &quot;firmware problem&quot;)

The suggestion is to update using the Seagate Enterprise utility which has to run with drives attached to a non raid scsi adapter, used a Lsi scsi adater. Proceeded as suggested, updating the raid drives individually, starting with the &quot;hotspare&quot; of an lsilogic u320-2 array. Firmware completed on the hot spare, tested fine, placed the drive into the array cage, started up the server. Well two drives were failed on startup, not the hotspare. Lost the array on this FSMO server, mucho fun doing an authoritative restore.

A partial quote from a Seagate email reply.....

&quot;Normally a firmware upgrade does not cause any issues. Unfortunately in your case it seems to have caused more problems than it fixed. ......

Robert H.
Seagate Technical Support&quot;

I have to seagate 120gb barracudas running raid 0 its telling me when i start up there failing how do i fix this problem or find out wich of the discs are going. My computer still runs fine tho?

With raid 0 there is no fix or possibility of replacing a failing disk, at least with normal means. Backup the data NOW, then look into array logs, possibly in the OS event logs. Each raid manufacturer has there own raid manager software, which will produce logs of disk errors. Seagate Enterprise Util has a scsi disk test, but requires the drives to be on standard scsi adapters. The utility is extremely unreliable for verifying scsi disks for use in arrays, but may pick out the failing drive.

Highly suggest setting up raid 1 instead of raid 0.

Chernobyl disaster..a must see pictorial

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back