Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Two explorer.exe in Task Manager

Status
Not open for further replies.

alex0628

MIS
Sep 29, 2004
I can't view anything on the Windows server, except the desktop, task manager and if I press ctrl-alt-del for the lock workstation dialog box. If I click on anything else, the hour glass pops up, then stops, but nothing happens. I checked under Processes. I have two explorer.exe listed. Is the extra explorer.exe causing this problem? The file server is accessible and working fine, but I can't do anything with it besides see the desktop. Any ideas on how to fix this without re-booting? (We have a second shift, so I can't re-boot until the weekend.)

I'm only taking a stab here seeing as you don't have any other responses, you should be able to end both explorer.exe processes using the task manager without restarting or shutting down the server - if you succesfully kill both processes you should have nothing but your background and task manager displayed i.e. no icons or taskbar.

You can then click on "file" and "new task(run)" in the run dialog type explorer.exe - if this works it should hopefully return you to full explorer functionality.

I already tried that. I can kill both instances, but Start New Task didn't work. Task Manager then locked up. I could start a new Task Manager and kill the previous one, but that's it. I also had two instances of WINS, SQLMgr, about six instances of mmc.exe, along with a few others. I ended up re-booting the server. (I have an old Novell 3.2 still running. It's the energizer bunny of servers. Never needs re-booting. The Windows 2000 server always needs re-booting.)

I think I would do a complete system virus and spyware/addware scan. Im guessing not stating for sure that the extra explorer might be a fake explorer(virus). Although I dont know a whole lot of windows 2000 server if its much different from what I use which is windows 2000 pro. Just giving my 2cents to see if it helps lol.

I did the complete virus/spyware check. Nothing. The only thing that I can think of is that I did remote in to the server (remote desktop connection) last week through our VPN. It's the first time I tried using remote desktop. I have Windows 2000 at home, not XP. Maybe it caused a problem by somehow leaving multiple instances running?

If you have a virus on your server, which more than likely it is, then your installed antivirus will most likely be disabled and is now useless. You can scan til the cows come home and you wont find anything...

Grab a copy of avg if you can, direct link here:

Also, grab a copy of xoftspy from here: I find it's one of the better scanners out there... it's not free but at least it'll tell you what you're dealing with. You have to pay for it before it'll remove the items found.

Look carefully at both explorer.exe processes, are they both spelled correctly? the letter l in explorer may actually be a number one (1).

Run your virus scans in "safe mode with command prompt". If you allow the explorer shell to load, the virus can load with the shell. You'll have to load the virus scanner thru the task manager.

Post back and let us know.

~ K.I.S.S - Don't make it any more complex than it has to be ~

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back