Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Two Ethernet Ports - How to use them? One for Internet, one for linking machines

Status
Not open for further replies.

LOKIDOG

Technical User
Apr 25, 2001
US
I have two Ethernet ports on my computer. Got a new motherboard and same setup. I used to bridge the connections, so that I could connect to the internet and connect my PC desktop to a linux-based multimedia (mostly video) box. It worked. But I was having troubles resetting it up (connecting to a firewall router, etc.) and thought, 'Why am I bridging them?' I know that I originally bridged them so the Linux machine could connect to the internet, but now it's a legacy machine and there is no reason to connect (there was little reason before either really except for very occasional updates and it was able to play Youtube before they started changing the format constantly). Presetnly, I can use one connection at a time - I must disable one connection to use the other and vice-versa.

So is this reasonable? Can I connect one so that it goes to the internet, and the other to connect the two computers and have them both enabled at the same time.

How would I set this up? What are the settings? Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back