Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Two domains for the price of one?

Status
Not open for further replies.

spacebass5000

Programmer
Nov 26, 2000
US
So I am trying to serve up the same site using two domain names. I am utilizing your standard CPANEL hosting environment. I added the second domain to my site and when it is input into a browser's address field, it ends up taking me to the right site, yet the url changes to the original url of the site. Let's call them url1 and url2:

url1: (associated with the original CPANEL site)
url2: (later added)

So when I go to I end up at Can I make it such that the url reflected in the browser is the url I initially entered. As in, I direct my browser at and for the duration of my visit, the base url in my browser stays and my CMS magically continues working without any problems. I mention my CMS because it has a config variable '$mosConfig_live_site'. Which I assume is needed for path issues of some sort.

The reason why all of this is being done, and thus a reason for further concern, is because url1 is for the content side of this site and url2 is for the e-commerce section of it. I will have to purchase an SSL cert for the store and I imagine I will have to associate with a particular url. I want this to be url2. I don't want to have to purchase 2 certs.

Can anyone shed some light on if this is possible and if so, what direction to head in?

yes, it is very possible... and without mod_rewrite

Someone else pointed out that I could simply use that config variable to alter the site's behaviour. Who would of thought eh? ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back