Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Two Docking Stations-Two Different USB Printers 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

michbar

MIS
Sep 28, 2004
US
I have a few users who have a laptop with a docking station in their office and a docking station in their vehicle. The office docking station has a Dell 1700 USB printer attached and the vehicle docking station has a Zebra Label printer attached, also USB. The problem is that whenever they switch from office to vehicle, powering off not just undocking, the label printer will not work until it is reinstalled. Then when they dock back in the office the Dell printer will not work until it is reinstalled. Any suggestions?

A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.-Mitch Ratcliffe

The most likely way for the world to be destroyed, most experts agree, is by accident. That's where we come in; we're computer professionals. We cause accidents.-Nathaniel Borenstein

create 2 hw profiles, one docked in car, one in office with the propper printer settings

Creating two separate hardware profiles would work, but when you get a chance, check the port settings for each printer. Make sure one is using USB001 and the other is USB002.

If they're both sharing the same USB number, then that could be causing the problem.

~cdogg
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Einstein
[tab][navy]For posting policies, click [/navy]here.

I did create two hardware profiles (actually three) as I needed the wireless to be turned off when docked in the office and the wireless on when docked in the truck, but I could not find a way to disable a specific printer in the hardware profile.

I did check the usb ports they are using and they are using USB001. I am not on site with the users so Monday I will try reinstalling one of the printers when both are connected at the same time.

A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.-Mitch Ratcliffe

The most likely way for the world to be destroyed, most experts agree, is by accident. That's where we come in; we're computer professionals. We cause accidents.-Nathaniel Borenstein

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back