Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Two DHCP servers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
Hi!

I have a problem which is rather simple. I've two subnets 10.192.1.x and 10.192.2.x and also 2 DHCP servers. This two subnets uses two different Default Gateways(cisco2610) and are linked with Cisco Catalyst1900s. These DHCP servers as normal sends datagrams over the network, but HOW THE HELL I CAN KNOW WHICH DHCP WILL RESPOND TO THE CLIENT !!!!!!!!!

PS. Can anyone explain me the issue shown above ?

Thankz,,
-maras-

I'm just a little confused here. how is your topology set up . ( Router, server,switch ect. ) and what is it your trying to accomplish? ( As a shot in the dark I would say if you set up VLAN's to segment your different subnets then you could tell which dhcp server is active to the client) Jeter@LasVegas.com The best answer I could ever give is the one to maintain my Sanity

Once again,

Th topology is like below :

----------------
---Router2610---
---10.192.1.1---
-------DF-------
---------------- ------
|
|
|
---------------- |
---Router2610--- | -- --
---10.192.2.1--- | Host2 Host1
------DF-------- | -- --
---------------- ------------ ---------------
----Switch-----
-------------X4------
| ---------------
| |
| |
| |
------------ ------------
---DHCP----- ---DHCP-----
-10.192.1.3- -10.192.2.3-
------------ ------------

Legend :

Host1 - The client of network 10.192.1.x
Host2 - The client of network 10.192.2.x
SwitchX4 - 4 Cisco Catalyst1900s Switches uplinked

Now my question : How can I set up the assign of IP addr. using two DHCP servers ?

-maras-

You will never know which DHCP server gives an address to PC unless you configure two VLANs and establish routing between them.

Xor

You need to understand that dhcp uses broadcasts to get the attention of the DHCP server. Any DHCP server can respond to the broadcasts and will do so. You might be able to set up custom port assignmets. So that only the correct server will actually hear them and respond.

I would just move the DHCP servers into the networks that they service or use VLANS!!!

good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back