Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

two connections setting through Netgear switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

COOLIGHT

MIS
Apr 11, 2008
US
I hope this is the right place to ask a question. Our office has two connections: integrated T1 line (carry 14 phone# and internet access) and cable connections. T1 line is connected to CISCO router#IAD2400 Series with phone connections before connecting Fortinet firewall. Both connections go through Fortinet 50B 2 WAN Firewall and one cable connects firewall to Netgear switch FSM7328S and our exchange server and pcs are connected to Netgear switch. I am not sure if the connection is right. We tried to set up T1 line for phone/terminal service/internet browsing and cable for email/VPN on the Firewall by directing header, everything is fine except internet browsing is very slow even if nobody uses phone/terminal services. T1 line is supposed to have 24 channels and has 1.5mbps upload speed. Any suggestion about how to increase browsing speed?

Keep in mind 1.5 MB isn't exactly lightening fast by today's standards. Most DSL lines these days would give minimum 5-6 and some upwards of 8. Also depending on how your provider set this up, they could be reserving portions of that T1 for phone even if you aren't actively using it at that moment. If so, then your top-end internet speed will be even less, with or without phone calls.

But on the off chance that the problem is inside your network, start eliminating points where potential bottle necks might be adding to your woes. If possible, I'd take a laptop, give it an IP address in the range covered by your router, plug it right into the router (you may need cross-over cable) and see what happens when you hit the internet without all these other components in the way, particularly the firewall. See if you get better results. If so, add the firewall back in and step your way back until you find the bottleneck.

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back