Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

two computers on same isp

Status
Not open for further replies.

pq49z

MIS
Jul 9, 2000
US
is there any way to connect two pc's that are using the same isp?&nbsp;&nbsp;i ask because a friend and i are trying to play online games but we live in rural area and most ov the servers are hundreds of miles away so we have a much slower connection then anybody else and the games we play are speed dependent and we just enjoy playing each other without other people .<br><br><br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;please help

Hello<br><br>First of all, are the two computers in the same house\room etc...?<br><br>You don't have to use an ISP to network two computers together.&nbsp;&nbsp;If you only want to play games between the two of you you can do one of two things without even using an ISP.&nbsp;&nbsp;You can netwok them together with NIC cards if they are close enough or you could set it up so that one computer dials directly into the other.<br><br>To be able to dial from one computer to another you need to enable Hyper Terminal.&nbsp;&nbsp;To do this : Click Start\Settings\Control Panel\Add Remove Programs, go to the&nbsp;&nbsp;Windows Setup tab, double click on Communications and put a check mark in Hyper Terminal and then click ok.&nbsp;&nbsp;After that follow the instructions to set up one of the computers so that it can be dialed into at:<br><br><A HREF=" TARGET="_new"> that, set up a new dial up in My Computer\dial up networking.<br><br>You may have to configure a couple more things also.<br>

Another way is to connect the PC's across Serial, using a Null Modem Cable (works with Quake & Quake II, I believe), which is basically a 25pin RS232 Modem Cable with the 2nd and 3rd pins swapped over at one end of the cable.<br><br>They only cost about a fiver, so it's certainly got a lot more going for it than buying network cards.<br><br>The games your playing should tell you whether they can use Serial Networking. <p>ahdkaw<br><a href=mailto:ahdkaw@sensibilium.com>ahdkaw@sensibilium.com</a><br><a href= you do visit my sites - be warned! You must be of a discordian nature...'

Hi
I think U and Ur friend have to have a valid IP.
Then U can see others computer via internet.
And there is a feature called VPN, that can get connected to a computer via internet.
But I don't know how Ur game provides the networking.
BYE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back