Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Two computers and a single modem

Status
Not open for further replies.

hungry

Programmer
Jul 18, 1999
US
Hello,<br>
<br>
I have two computers on the same desk. One of them (a 486) has a 14.4 modem, which works fine. On my other computer (a P166), I've just installed Red Hat Linux 5.2. For the time being, I can't afford a new modem, and I need to leave the modem in the 486. Is there some way that I could connect the two computers via their com ports, redirect the 486's i/o to the com port, and fool Linux (on the other computer) into thinking that it's got an external modem?<br>
<br>
In theory it seems simple. External modems send/recieve data and control signals over a serial cable. The internal modem contains a built in com port, and sends/recieves the same signals. I just need to redirect those signals; perhaps via a driver. (The 486 is running MS-DOS and Windows 3.1)<br>
<br>
Thanks,<br>
<br>
Ben Logan

Hmmm...not sure I've heard of anyone being very successful @ that; but I am slightly ocnfused about your saying you can't afford a new modem....this seems foreign to me as I can get 56K modems for around $25 (w/S&H) at <A HREF=" TARGET="_new">Still using mine & haven't had any problems with it yet :) <p>-Robherc<br><a href=mailto:robherc@netzero.net>robherc@netzero.net</a><br><a href= > </a><br>*nix installation & program collector/reseller. Contact me if you think you've got one that I don't :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back