Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Two cables between switches 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xilllly

Technical User
Dec 29, 2007
AU
If I connect two switches with two ethernet cables, will that cause the network to freeze up? This with a view to reduce packet collision and therefore maintain speed between switches.

If your switches as simple enough NOT to have Spanning Tree Protocol enabled, yes, two cables will cause a switching loop that will suck down all available bandwidth.

If the switches are classy enough to have Spanning Tree Protocol enabled, then one cable will be automatically disabled and the Network will function as before.

If these are high end switches with Link Aggregation correctly administered at both ends, then one can use two cables to double the bandwidth between the switches. (It is unlikely you have this scenario without noticing the thousands of dollars or hours of time spent on it)

I tried to remain child-like, all I acheived was childish.

If you have switches they generally run in full duplex so there is no packet collision you have to worry about . The rest of what jimbo said is right on the money about spanning tree loops . Unless your switches are manageable and support etherchannel don't do it .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back