Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Two basic router questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

rsys

IS-IT--Management
Apr 6, 2001
US
Hi,

I have two basic questions about CISCO routers.

1. is there a router command (IOS) to clear the screen (I mean like "cls" in DOS)?

2. How do I find out the current boot setting (to know where all the router looks for boot information) of the router?.

To a certain extend, I am familiar with the CISCO IOS interface.

thanks a lot for your help.

Thanks for your response. I tried what you suggested .I am using a 1700 series router.
The router does not seem to recognize "clrscrn" as a valid command.

I don't think there is anyway that you can clear the screen apart from logging off and then logging on again.

I know this looks like an old thread and not sure if anyone cares. I too have been looking to find a way to clear the screen.

Well this is what I came up with: use the "send" command with some escape characters.

send {line-number | * | aux number | console number | tty number | vty number}

I use the who to find what line I am on (denoted by the * in the first column) and use that line number.

Now the escape sequence would be ^[[H^[[J

when you do it though you have to do a ^v first so your line would look like (just to clarify: the ^ is the control key)

^v^[[H^v^[[J

This is what everything will look like when on the screen:

Switch#who
Line User Host(s) Idle Location
* 1 vty 0 idle 00:00:00 windecs1.mis.dkc.com

Interface User Mode Idle Peer Address

Switch#send 1
Enter message, end with CTRL/Z; abort with CTRL/C:
^[[H^[[J^Z
Send message? [confirm]
Switch#

a clear screen will follow. Remember the ^[ is actually preceded by a ^v, but that won't display.

Looks tough to do, but I use it fro scrips and thus is not too complex.

If anyone has another or better way I would be curious to see how you do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back