Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Two annoying PC Probs... 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ed2020

Programmer
Nov 12, 2001
GB
Hi,

I have a couple of annoying PC issues that I'm hoping somebody can help me
with. One is fairly minor, the other less so:

1. The first one is a bit weird. Over the past few days the Num Lock light
on my keyboard has not been switching off when I shut down my PC. Does
anybody know what could be causing this?

2. The second one is rather more of a problem. My iPod has recently started
refusing to mount - I can't see it in iTunes or in Windows Explorer. This
has happened before and reloading the "optimised defaults" in my bios fixed
the problem. I had been mucking about with my bios before the problem
occurred, so this may well have been something I had messed up in the first
place. Unfortunately reloading these settings has not solved the problem
this time.

Any help with either of these will, as always, be very much appreciated!

TIA,

Ed Metcalfe.

Please do not feed the trolls.....

1. Might be a problem with mobo or bios. Is keyboard PS2 or USB?

2. If you load "Optimized or Default Values" make sure to "Save Changes and Exit".

If the Ipod is working (playing fine) but not viewable in Windows when connected through USB then I would a) try plugging into another PC , b) change cable, c) Uninstall/reinstall Itunes to find the source of the problem.

Best of luck.

Tony

Tony,

Thanks for the reply. Have a star for your trouble!

My keyboard is PS2.

I'm definitely saving on exit and I've double checked to make sure the changes are definitely saving.

As far as the iPod problem goes I have tried the following:

1. Plugged iPod into my PC (iPod charges, no mounting).
2. Plugged iPod into my PC with different lead (same result).
3. Plugged iPod into different PC (mounts as expected).

Have also tried the usual sugegstions on Google of forcing iPod into disk mode, resetting, etc. The one I really don't understand is the sugegstion to do a full restore - how the hell are you supposed to do that if it won't mount in the first place?!

So my conclusion is its my PC. If it's a hardware fault it's intermittent and the bios change I made last time was just coincidence. My gut feeling is it isn't hardware related though (not sure why - maybe just wishful thinking!).

Any other suggestions from anyone would be very much apprecitated.

Ed Metcalfe.

Please do not feed the trolls.....

1.) a so called 'Full Restore' pertains to XP and resetting it to a saved state before all these problems occured...

2.) when you 'muck' around in the BIOS, sometimes the changes aren't reversable, this is due to the NVRAM of the CMOS, this is a place of storage for hardware settings that the BIOS looks for and acts accordingly... if this NVRAM is not RESET then changes may stay even though you reversed the BIOS settings... look for this setting in the BIOS and RESET it... I could also suggest that you take out the BATTERY and leave it out for a while (5 to 10 min) this clears the CMOS and resets all of the BIOS settings...

Questions...

1.) does the NUM-LOCK stay on in the BIOS, aswell, or can you turn it off there?
if it is the same, ergo does not let itself be turned off, then I would try another KEYBOARD first, to see if it is the KEYBOARD that is causing you the problem there...

2.) since the iPod is hooked up per USB cable, I suggest you reinstall the CHIPSET DRIVERS from the Manufacturer... if this does not alleviate the problem, then they are the cause of the hickup, and I would suggest you revert to the Microsoft Versions of the USB drivers instead then...

Good Hunting...

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

ed relax, and do what all techs do if nothing else works.Try another computer; re-install the software on the troubled computer. The quicker the better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back