Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Twin Hard Drive Failure?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ziptop

Technical User
Jan 8, 2005
SE
I have an interesting problem that I'd like some 2nd opinions on.

A friends PC has recently "died" showing symptoms of OK boot and operation from cold, then after an hour it dies and re-starts, or a re-start is required. Upon re-booting the machine it does not see the system disk and asks for one.
I have had a look at it, and seen the same thing. Initial boot from cold has been fine on the first two occasions. Re-boot to BIOS (within the 1 hour "time limit") and that too is fine....BIOS see's both drives exactly as they should appear.
However once it HAS died. The BIOS cannot see EITHER drive!!
This machine (AthlonXP 2100, MSI KT3 Ultra2 Mainboard) was home built quite some time ago (almost 2 years?) using a newly purchased Excelstor HD and an old Fujitsu from a previous and quite old machine. I suspected that the problem might be PSU and/or Heat related, however despite the small case the CPU runs pretty cool, and all my tests have been with the case open, so the case temp has been quite low also.
I have tried the machine with a couple of other HD's and they are fine, and here's the thing....I also tried the faulty HD's with a known good PSU/Mainboard/CPU test bench..after failure...and though the BIOS will recognise the HD's...at first....it cannot boot the system disk. It simply hangs on startup.
Could a dying PSU (voltage drop after time running) or heat exposure have KILLED both drives?
I have ceased experimentation with the drives themselves for now as there is data on them which ought to be recovered and I'm begining to fear that they only have a few GOOD cold starts left in them.

Yes, low voltage (one drive pulling down the power), can damage a drive. I'd get a new drive, and "clone" the boot drive over immediatly (while cold). What OS? You can use a partition manager to add the other drive to the new one if nessary.

When testing the two drives, have you isolated them from each other by placing them on different IDE channels? If not, one could be causing the other to look bad too.

My previous post would be valid if the failure is only on the IDE interface. Even separated, if one drive is pulling too much from the power supply, it could make the other look bad too, but in that case I suspect you'd see other symptoms.

I guess I'm taking the long-winded way of saying that perhaps you should test each drive one at a time, if possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back