Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Tweeking DNS for Host Header domain

Status
Not open for further replies.

tryangle

Technical User
Mar 19, 2001
US
Hi,

I set up a (C)name for 'www' using the same fully qualified NS as the Default Website and set up its corresponding (A)record with the static IP address. I set up 'lan' as a domain. I set up a (C)name for 'lan' using a fully qualified 'name' and set up its corresponding blank (A)record with the static IP address. I set up an (A)record for 'lan' with the LAN IP address and an (A) record for 'computername' with the LAN IP address.

With this configuration I am able to pull up a Host Header site as but I am unable to pull it up as either secondsite.com from outside or lan.secondsite.com from inside. secondsite.com brings up firstsite.com and lan.secondsite.com brings up "The page cannot be displayed."

Being only able to bring up the second site using doesn't bother me so much as just knowing something is not configured correctly. I need some help to tweek this. :) Any takers? This OS keeps me on the edge of my seat!

Well, it would be helpful if you could post a "cutout" of the section of DNS that you're referring to just to clarify exactly what you did. But, if I'm reading your post correctly, I can tell you right off that you can't have a "CNAME" and "A" entry for the same host. So, if you have a CNAME entry for "lan" , you can't also have an A entry for it. I think what you'd want to do here is set up "secondsite.com" with an A record that corresponds to the appropriate website. Then , set up both " and "lan" with a CNAME record that points to "secondsite.com". But again, it's tough for me to evaluate based on just your post...

Thanks for picking up on this brontosaurus.

I see what you mean. You are right, that's exactly as it appears. But, as much as I tried to relate it clearly, I wasn't clear about mentioning that the second (A)record for 'lan' is actually blank for the domain 'lan' of lan.secondsite

This seems to be clear as mud. %-) I don't know how to post a cutout to help clarify this any further. This OS keeps me on the edge of my seat!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back