Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

TV TUNER NOT FUNCTIONING

Status
Not open for further replies.

dungy

Programmer
Aug 19, 2001
CA
I have setup my computer with 2 video cards(2 monitors)where you can drag and drop from one monitor to another. the first card is:
1-all in wonder 32mg AGP
2-ati 3-d rage II PCI
and i got it to work with multi monitors but the only problem i have is the "TV player failed to initialize the video) and when i try install multimedia center again it tells me there is no ati card available.
if anyone has the solution to this problem i would greatly appreciate it if you can help.

What OS are you running? That could have a lot to do with it. And also remember, the All-in-One wonder line is Notorious for being included with incomplete and (or) non-functioning drivers.

ATI cards require DirectX 8.0a and there is even a video update file specific to ATI that Microsoft has. Check out the site and the website at Microsoft then select the "downloads" choice at the top of the window.
Be sure to first install DirectX 8.0a and then after a reboot the "Video Capture Update" I am not sure this is the solution to all issues but this will help some of your incompatabilities.

I am having the same problem. If I remove the secondary adapter, I can get the Television display to work properly. I have also tried various cards as the secondary display, and each exhibit the same behavior - Trident 9680, S3 Trio 64V+ and ATI RAGE II based video cards.

I can't seem to nail this down. My only thought is that the video cards may be occupying the same memory location that the TV functions use. To get the dual display to work, I have to set my BIOS to recognize the PCI card as the primary, but then I've instructed Windows to use the ATI All-in-Wonder 128 (AGP) as the primary.

I have upgraded to the latest video drivers, used the Direct X 8a and now DirectX 8.1. Nothing seems to help here.

I just 'upgraded' to Windows 2000 and have the same problem - I have a Rage Fury Pro VIVO and a Trident 9680 card and the only way to get dual display working was to set the PCI to initialize first in the BIOS, but now my video in doesn't work.

I had a similar problem with windows 98, although dual display worked fine, the video input would hang while viewing it if I tried to do something else. Either way I can't use my video input now. Any help is welcome...

ericms@interchange.ubc.ca

* Yo! I didn't bother to read all the other posts,,,,,, but I do know this:

* you need the Web TV crap loaded from Windows to get the All in Wonder *FULLY* functional,,,,,, like the TV TUNER.

has anyone had any luck with this? I have win2k and the all in wonder radeon. I got the latest drivers from ATI. but the ATI manager program in the task bar kept crashing. So, I got the previous release and it stopped crashing. Either way, I continue to see "failed to initialize the video" when I start the tv tuner. I'm running Direct X 8.1, and I don't have web tv, video conference software, or terminal services on my machine. still no dice.

what gives?

if you get any info on getting the aiw radeon working with win2k + directx 8.1 please let me know

wes@pobox.com

Try to enable Netmeeting Remote Desktop Sharing and then disable it, that should do the trick ;)

Your welcome. Yah, I'm a pro.
Was bored,,,,, surfing the web, stopped in, read some old posts, and decided to check up on this one.
I'm glad that having a keen memory, and extensive computer knowledge has helped make the world a better place.
( now someone can watch Ophra on their computer !)

for people who have dat tv player failed to initialized crap juss upgrade to direct x 8.1. i had the prob b4 when i first got the ati all in wonder 32mb and now i juss re-installed windows after format and i didnt have dat prob again. if need help wit video capture on ati tv post another forum under the same category i can help. it took me almost a week straight to look for da ans to dat. g'd luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back