Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

TV out problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

HankTol

Technical User
Oct 15, 2007
US
Hi folks, I'm in a bad way.

I'm building a PC to be used as a media server and emulator system. As such, it's supposed to use a television as its primary (only) monitor.

I'm using a JetWay J7F2WE series mini-ITX motherboard with the VIA CN700 chipset, running Windows XP Pro SP2.

Here's my problem: The computer (Windows, the BIOS, anything) doesn't seem to recognize the motherboard's build-in RCA and SVIDEO tv-out. Hooking up a tv to either port produces... nothing. The tv receives no signal through the boot-up sequence, or once Windows starts up.

I've updated the drivers, I've reinstalled windows, I've been through my BIOS settings backwards and forwards, nothing I've done has helped so far.

Please help!

Thanks,
HankTol

I know that with nVidia and ATI drivers you get an option to force TV output to 'on', since "some" TVs (or in my experience, all TVs) don't send a "hello, I'm a TV" signal down the s-video cable, so the graphics card will disable its s-video output. I have never used VIA drivers but if there's nothing obvious in the control panel applet try searching VIA's forums for "force video output" or something like that.

Regards

Nelviticus

You need to set the TV as Primary from the Display Menu in Windows. Once its set, and if there's nothing else connected at the time, the TV will get the signal.

----------------------------------
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

My problem is that the TV isn't a choice in Window's Display Menu.

Is there and Advanced Button in Display Properties ->Settings

It should give you access to the display software.

Or you might need to update the drivers for it.

----------------------------------
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

I had a similar problem with my first media computer. What solved it for me was to drag a monitor next to your computer, with the svideo already hooked up to the TV. Once Windows loads and you go to the video settings there should be 2 monitors, the 2nd one will be greyed out. Click on the 2nd monitor and check the expand my desktop to this monitor box.

At this point you should get a signal from your computer. Typically your desktop's background will show up on the TV. Then check use this monitor as my primary monitor. Shutdown and unplug the monitor from your pc, from there it should boot to the TV, though be patient as it might not show the bios and device detection, and only start to display anything once you hit the Windows blue background screen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back