Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

TV Card Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

TSSTechie

Technical User
May 21, 2003
GB
Howdy folks,

I think this is the right forum to post this, apologies if not.

I recieved a PC TV card for Christmas and am having trouble getting it to work properly. It is a Hauppage WinTV with FM radio (not WinTV GO). My problem is the quality. Even at the smallest resolution on screen, the display is fuzzy, as though it weren't tuned in correctly however, no matter how much I fine tune it, it won't get any better. I have tried from a Video Cassette which I know to be perfect on the normal TV and this is also bad quality. I have tried using both the RF arial lead and an s-video lead but they both give the same result.

I have also tried a different application. I firstly tried the bundled Hauppage WinTV 2000 software and then tried Intervideo WinDVR 3. Both display poor quality.

I have updated the drivers for the TV Card, the Graphics Card (nVidia GeForce FX 5200) and running the latest version of the Hauppage WinTV 2000 application.

Now I am at a loss. The quality hasn't changed in the slightest despite my best efforts as detailed above.

Has anybody got any ideas how I could solve this. I am really keen to get the card working.

Thanks in advance for any help you may be able to provide

TSSTechie

Ps. If you need to know any of the other components in my PC please feel free to ask.

[lightsaber] May The Force Be With You [trooper] [yoda]

Howdy me again

Just thought, it might be useful to know I am running Windows XP Professional SP1 (fully updated)

Thanks again

TSSTechie

Tv tuner cards need a pretty strong signal to display good quality picture.
Is the cable you're using in good shape?

Howdy,

Thanks for the response.

I have tried both RF cables and S-Video cables. The RF one is brand new with gold-plated connectors which I understand to aid the quality of the transmition. This would lead me to believe that it is not the cabling that is at fault.

Thanks again anyway

TSSTechie

Has anyone got any other ideas ??? Please [sad]

You could try and put the card into a different PCI slot.
And you could also try the card in a different computer to isolate the problem.

Howdy,

Thanks for that. I've tried what you suggested but the quality was no better either in another PCI slot nor in another computer.

Could it be that the card is faulty ??

Thanks again for posting back

TSSTechie

If you can get hold of a card that is known to be working well then you could try that in your computer just to make sure...
But if you tried the tuner card in another computer with different cable connections then it seems more than likely that your card is faulty indeed.

What kind of motherboard/processor/cpu/video card are you using? I saw a noticeable difference in my TV Tuner (ATI Wonder) when I upgraded from a 1.2GHz Athlon and a crappy PC Chips board to my 3200+ nForce2 setup and a GeForce 5600. It may not seem like it may help, but hardware can make the ultimate difference in your TV Tuner signal.

Howdy,

Cheers for the responses folks.

My Pc Spec.

Motherboard = Gigabyte GA-7VA
Processor = AMD Athlon XP 2700+
Video Card = nVidia GeForce FX 5200
Sound Card = Creatve Sound Blaster Audigy 2
RAM = 512 Mb DDR

Sound ok ??

Cheers

TSSTechie