Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Turning on Internet Information Services

Status
Not open for further replies.

Imbriani

Programmer
Jan 9, 2004
US
Hi folks,

I'm just beginning to learn .asp and have what is probably a stupid question, or something stupid I'm doing. According to the online class site I'm using, I have to have Internet Information Services installed on my Windows XP in order to run the .asp files I will be creating right off my computer instead of a server. So, I did that. Now, I still can't get any .asp files to run, even the very simple examples from the course. Any ideas anyone?

Look for the IIS MMC tool under Control Panel -> Administrative Tools. Right-click on "Default Website", choose Properties from the popup menu, this will bring up a tabbed dialog box. There will be a tab named Home Directory or Virtual Directory... in the bottom half of that tab it says something about Application... near that you will see a button labeled "Create" or "Remove", click it if it has "Create"

Thanks, Sheco,

I did that and the button said "remove". In the block it said "default application". Any other ideas?

OK, on that same tab on the top half there is a textbox labeled "Path" or something. The default I think is c:\
Anyway, put a simple ASP in the folder specified by the path.

Just go to the folder, right-click, New -> Text Document
Paste in this line:
<% Response.Write "Server time: " & Now %>

rename the file: default.asp

Open your web browser..

In the address bar type:

That did it! I have no idea what we did, but hey, I'm not complaining. As all the setting already were as you suggested, I suspect I was doing something stupid, but I don't know what. Anyway, thank you so much.

In order for .asp pages to render they must go through the server the server. Thats why you need to use localhost in the browsers address bar. You can create other folders under the say a folder called "Play" and in that folder have additional asp files then in order to get to them you would "localhost/play/go.asp" Another thing I like to do is turn on "Directory Browseing" from the web site properties in IIS. Then you can have various different kinds of asp files in the play directory. Say a page that shows you how to display date and time, and another page that shows you how to use a for loop. Then with directory browseing turned on you can go to localhost/play and see all your files and then you can choose which one you want to see in the browser.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back