Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Turning Folder Sharing "on" for Win 98 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

tallman64

Programmer
Nov 2, 2000
CA
Hi,

I've updated a computer from win95 to win98 and i notice that the properties of folders don't have the default "sharing" option.

How can i turn this feature back "on" or is it simply not available for win 98.

thanks in advance,

Tallman

Right Click on Network Neighborhood and go to properties. First ensure the File and print sharing for Microsoft Networks is listed in the White area under TCP/IP some where. Next there is a button that states File and Print Sharing(or something like that) Click on it and put a check in the share folders box. James Collins
Systems Support Engineer
A+, MCP

email: butchrecon@skyenet.net

Please let us (Tek-tips members) know if the solutions we provide are helpful to you. Not only do they help you but they may help others.

Tallman,

Unless I'm reading this incorrectly,

For the "default" share to appear, you'll need to log onto a domain and have user level access enabled..

reghakr

Tallman,

I believe I understand your dilemma. Do the following:

1) Start->Settings->Control Panel and double-click Network.
2) On the Configuration tab, click Add.
3) Choose "Service" and click Add again.
4) Choose Microsoft in the left pane, then select "File and Print Sharing" on the right side
5) Hit OK at the bottom, then hit OK again to restart your pc

After rebooting, you should have the "sharing option" when you right-click a folder on your desktop.

*note: Butchrecon said to right-click network neighborhood to check all this, but if Client for MS Networks isn't installed, you won't see that icon on the desktop)

Thanks James, Reghakr and teknikal.

Other problems have forced me to return (temporarily) to win 95. I'll be sure to refer to your suggestions when i try this again.

Tallman

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back