Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Turn off "machine authentication"

Status
Not open for further replies.

ABOzIT

IS-IT--Management
May 1, 2003
JP
We have a global wireless network using IAS for authentication & public class 3 certificate but there are a handful of clients that fail to connect because they seem to be using "machine" authentication" and not the user's domain account.

Looking at the IAS logs 99% of the clients use domain\username but the ones that are failing appear as host/machine name.

I have checked settings between one that works and one that doesn't and there seems to be no difference.

How do I turn off machine authentication on these clients so the domain\username is sent to IAS?

Thanks!

did you delete the default Domain Computers IAS policy??

I hate all Uppercase... I don't want my groups to seem angry at me all the time! =)
- ColdFlame (vbscript forum)

Its a registry setting on the XP clients that can be set via group policy in AD (assuming the clients are Domain Members). The default behaviour of the XP 802.1x supplicant is to attempt machine authentication when no user is logged on and then once a user logs on attempt user re-authentication.

Andy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back