Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Turn off Modem sound 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jui

Technical User
Sep 3, 2001
AU
Hi anyone,
Could somebody help me please.
I've got problem with my modem. It is a Netcomm Roadster 33.6 kbps type. The problem is in the setting of dial up. I could only set the modem as general modem, not as Netcomm one. If I set the modem as Netcomm one, it won't work and if only I set it to general modem, it will work, but I could't turn off the dial up sound. It is annoying. I will very appreciate, if someboy could help me to solve this problem. Thank you.

Go into the control panel, into modems, click on properties, and click on 'modem speaker volume', and scroll it all the way to the left, and voila! no modem screeching :)
Good luck! s-) clgx299@earthlink.net
I came, I saw, I connected at 48.8...

Thank you Neonyak, I did what you mentioned. However, the "modem speaker volume" turn to grey, so I can't scroll it. Any suggestion? Thank you.

Jui

In the extra settings box of Advanced modem properties (via control panel) put: M0L0 (that's M zero L zero). Cheers,
Jim
iamcan.gif

I am very appreciate for your help Comtech. It works, amazingly. Thank you so much.

I have a Connexant-based SoftK56 modem, and can't seem to turn off the modem sound. Have tried moving the speaker volume to "Off" and entered M0L0 in the Extra Settings box of the Advanced properties. Yet I still get the horrible modem sound the whole time I am connected.

Any suggestions?

John

I have same problem as J Homer (posted 19/10/01). Although this has only happened since I downloaded driver (Generic SoftK56 Data Fax)from Connexant's web site to replace original Rockwell one. Noise is quite annoying as it stays on throughout the seesion.

Any help much appreciated.

Alan

My problem is exactly the same as Alan Jones - I also downloaded the latest driver from Connexant - I've searched the Internet for answers - but I can't get rid of this dreadful noise - help!

I noticed in another thread that Homer J found the answer was that he'd installed the wrong driver. John, can you tell us what the right driver is since I'm sure I followed the instructions to the letter on the Connexant web site.

The only RIGHT driver is the one from your modem's manufacturer. The drivers on the Conexant website (and mine) will work with most modems containing a Conexant chipset, but not all. Cheers,
Jim
iamcan.gif

For some reason even the supposedly correct modem drivers simply do not always do the business... In these circumstances, I have reverted to that old favourite of bunging up the modem sounder orifice with a piece of insulation tape or Bluetac. Doesn't kill the sound, but at least reduces it to bearable levels! Soldering iron operatives might like to unsolder this device from the modem board, but do this with great care...

ROGER - GØAOZ.

I had the same problem with a Conexant HSF PCI modem. These WinModems rely on software and getting the right driver took a few goes.

Even forcing the speaker off (using command set ATM0L0) didn't work until I used the "doctor's" version of the drivers. The drivers on the conexant website didn't allow the speaker to turn off.

I finally got this modem to work under WinXP.

These drivers (version 4.06.08.003) are here:

One of the best pages for this modem is:

Hope that helps!

I had the same problem with a Conexant HSF PCI modem. These WinModems rely on software and getting the right driver took a few goes.

Even forcing the speaker off (using command set ATM0L0) didn't work until I used the "doctor's" version of the drivers. The drivers on the conexant website didn't allow the speaker to turn off.

I finally got this modem to work under WinXP.

These drivers (version 4.06.08.003) are here:

One of the best pages for this modem is:

Hope that helps!

In the extra settings box of Advanced modem properties (via control panel) put: ATM0 (that's A T M zero).

I have found these command silences the any modem noise.

Good luck.

I am trying to get access to Some modem drivers for my Conexant HSF PCI modem ( to turn off the modem speaker and resolve other bugs)
According to this sites, the files (version 4.06.08.003) are available from here:
<
But every time I enter this address or click on a reference to these files I end up being redirected to a Russian Web Site (HotBox - an email server)
Can someone please tell me how to get the files I want.

I am trying to get access to Some modem drivers for my Conexant HSF PCI modem ( to turn off the modem speaker and resolve other bugs)
According to this sites, the files (version 4.06.08.003) are available from here:
<
But every time I enter this address or click on a reference to these files I end up being redirected to a Russian Web Site (HotBox - an email server)
Can someone please tell me how to get the files I want.

For anyone visiting this forum - I have now found an alternative solution:

In desparation I was about to drill a hole through the modem speaker, when I noticed that it had a &quot;Speaker&quot; jack on the back of it - so that I could send the output to an external speaker (God knows why I would want to do that ! - perhaps I could connect it up to my Hi Fi and point the speakers out the windows on a Sat morning - in order to piss the neigbours off and get back at them for keeping me awake all Fri night with their party !)

Anyway - plugging in a cable to the speaker jack (that goes nowhere) silences the internal modem speaker.

Silence is Bliss.
(would still like to get the right drivers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back