Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Turn off modem sound - more help required

Status
Not open for further replies.

HomerJ

IS-IT--Management
Feb 4, 2002
DE
I have a Conexant-based SoftK56 modem, and can't seem to turn off the modem sound. (I am running Windows 98). Have tried moving the speaker volume to "Off" and entered M0L0 in the Extra Settings box of the Advanced properties. Yet I still get the awful modem sound the whole time I am connected.

Any suggestions?

John

It suggests that either you have the wrong modem driver installed, or maybe the correct one which has become partially corrupted. Try uninstalling it, and removing the modem. Boot up Windows with no modem insitu, and close down. (Windows will note the lack of a modem at this stage). Now refit modem trying a different slot maybe, let Windows boot up hopefully finding the modem, and then ensure the correct driver is installed. I take it the Modem diags don't come up with any failures?

Failing all that, you can do one of two things. Either unsolder the sounder from the modem card, or do as I have done on many occasions, stick a piece of insulation tape over the sounder orifice - this doesn't completely kill the sound, but reduces it substantially.

ROGER - GØAOZ.

Are you running AOL? Cheers,
Jim
iamcan.gif

No, I am not running AOL. And no, the modem diags don't come up with any failures.

I guess it must be the driver. The problem only started after I reformatted the hard drive and reinstalled Windows, only to find that I didn't have the original modem driver. The one I am using is a generic one downloaded from the Conexant website - obviously not the correct one.

Will try doing as you suggest, Roger. Thanks,

John

I did have the wrong modem driver installed. Have now found the right one, installed it, and it works fine. No more noise. Thanks,

John

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back