Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Turn Off Import / Export Data

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 10, 2004
GB
Hi,

I have a SQL Server 2005 database that I have created several users with db_datareader access.

Most of these users access the data via ODBC, but some use SQL Server.

Those that can use SQL Server are my issue.
I assumed that with db_datareader users could only connect and view the data (SELECT) but after testing, they can also IMPORT and EXPORT data

Is this right?
How can I turn it off?

If the user can select the data then they can export the data as exporting data is simply selecting data. If the user can import the data into the database then they have some other privilege which allows them to create a table or insert data into an existing table.

Make sure that the user isn't a member of the db_datawriter role, and that you haven't granted the public role insert rights to the table.

Denny
MVP
MCSA (2003) / MCDBA (SQL 2000)
MCTS (SQL 2005 / SQL 2005 BI / SQL 2008 DBA / SQL 2008 DBD / SQL 2008 BI / MWSS 3.0: Configuration / MOSS 2007: Configuration)
MCITP (SQL 2005 DBA / SQL 2008 DBA / SQL 2005 DBD / SQL 2008 DBD / SQL 2005 BI / SQL 2008 BI)

My Blog

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back