Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Turn any picture into a gradient image for a background

Status
Not open for further replies.

kjv1611

Jul 9, 2003
US
This is something I've done before with a little freeware application (which if I could just find it again, I'd just use it). I was able to open an image, and create a gradient image from that image. So, all the color came from exactly the colors in that image.

Is there a way to do this in Photoshop or some other image editor? Or, does anyone know of a freeware program I could download to do this little trick? It only took about 2 seconds with the program I used, but that's been at least 3 years ago, and I can't remember the name of the program, nor can I find it online, lately - so far.

Thanks for any suggestions.

I'm not sure what you're trying to achieve. Do you want a gradient going from one colour to another, but only where the image is? You can create a Gradient layer over your image (Layer > New Fill Layer > Gradient...) and, depending on the effect you want, you could:

1: Change the colour mode to "Color"

2: Leave the colour mode as normal, and copy the original layer into a layer mask on the gradient layer (you may have to do this through the channels palette, and you may need to invert the mask and hide the background layer).

If you know of any examples online, maybe you could provide a link?

That sounds like something worth trying. Thanks, blueark. I've not used Photoshop a whole lot, as of yet. As far as examples online, I'm not real sure. What I did before was for an Access database form. I found a free program called something like "gradient creator" or gradient maker" or something along those lines, more or less on accident. It only did one thing: make gradients, so I didn't have a whole lot of use for it at the time. But, I made one gradient from one image.

The process was very simple:
1.) Open the file with the program.
2.) Tell it to make a gradient from the image, and edit it as to which color(s) to be the largest portion(s) of the gradient.

It really was a cool little program, and did a very good job.

Anyhow, I tried messing with the gradient option in Photoshop yesterday, and didn't like what I found at that point. I'll try your suggestion, hopefully tonight, and poast back.

Thanks!

I may still try that method later on, but in the mean time, for anyone who would like to take a look at it, I found the old little program that I used before, here:
[URL unfurl="true"]http://www.eggerspsp.com/gradients.htm[/url]

It is a tutorial for doing something with gradients, but had a link to download the program. It was really hard to find it, b/c apparently the programmer(s) may not be in existence anymore - as far as on the web. Their website is supposed to be , but it comes up to a blank page, and the results when searching for that company name is real interesting (the link that goes to their home page, via a google search).

I'll post back with my results if I get to try the photoshop method.

The program's name is Gradient Thief. Forgot to post that.

Sorry, I think I misunderstood you. You just want to create a gradient using colours from your image? Oh that's easy!

1: With your image open, select the gradient tool.
2: Click the gradient in the options, just under the main menu.
3: In the gradient editor that appears, click underneath the gradient to add more points, and click anywhere in the image to sample a colour. Clicking on top of the gradient allows you to set transparency too.

Thanks for the info. That does sound pretty easy, I'll have to try that this evening. It sounds much easier than the other thing, though I might try and tinker with that to see what I get, anyway - could be of use, later.

Just an update. I did not get to work with this at all yesterday. Hopefully tomorrow, Saturday, I'll get a chance, b/c I already know that I will not be able to today at all, more than likely.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back