Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Turbo Assembler under Win2k

Status
Not open for further replies.

ASPASP

Programmer
May 22, 2003
AR
Can any recommend a couple of good books (beginner-intermediate) on assembly language for the Intel IA-32 architecture? I've begun reading Swan's "Mastering Turbo Assembler, Second Edition". However, I'm running Win2k, and, the first programming example does not execute in the Command Prompt. For anyone who has this book, I'm referring to Listing 2-1 on page 31. After running the linker on the object file, the executable "ff.exe" is created. When I attempt to run in in the Command Prompt, I receive the following message.

"The system cannot execute the specified program."

I assume the problem is that the OS is not DOS. The book was published in 1995. If this is the case, does anyone know how I can address this? How would I go about learning assembly under the Win2k environment.

Thanks.

Well, I'd suggest going about this one of two ways:

1. Get a DOS boot disk and get used to it ^-^
1.5 You can even get a DOS 7.10 disk with user interfaces similar to 98 or 3.11 Windows, and get them to read FAT32 and NTFS!
2. Start writing 32 bit applications. (seek help online or wait for someone to explain this.. I'm an ASM novice ^-^)

I use MASM and all the programs I have ever written work
under Win2k. These progs are more complex than your
standard "first programming example" in an average asm book.

I don't think the problem lies in your book or your
assembler, my guess would be you are not assembling/linking
it right. Check the command line parameters.

i.e. assembling a .COM without the ORG 100h directive
will assemble, but not load (properly).

DevPortal: a DOS boot disk with a w98 interface?
how is that possible?

Tlink will NEVER work in win2k or winxp, maybe not even in any other 32bit os. I've tried. I use the linker that comes with GCC, it works fine. Also the one in MingW works good, but its only for 32bit.

@denc4: As I said, its a user interface. Its essentially a VERY VERY stripped version of windows 3.1 which is heavily modded to be more like windows 98. It looks the same and performs more like Win98 than Win3.1 (to my understanding, because I really have never tried the Win98 one [just their 3.1 UI]) But they just boot DOS from the disk and then you run the UI as if it were a HDD.

What's the name of that prog? Is it free, and where can I
get it? Does it run from HD also?

thx.

denc4 speaks words of wisdom. I've used ancient Dos version of TASM since ages, through win95 and now in winXP. Obviously I don't expect it to write win-style exe files, but all versions of windows, absolutely, with no exceptions, recognise a dos exe file and run it, correctly, in a dos box.
If you've got an exe that windows won't handle, something's wrong with your linking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back