Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Tunnel issue with a Nortel and Cisco Hardware.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kwazzy

Technical User
Oct 31, 2006
US
I have been working on an issue with a Nortel Contivity 1740 and a Cisco 3015 VPN Concentrator.

We have the tunnel built from the cisco end as a single PAT address, and the Nortel end as three host addresses. They communicate fine, but then we loose connection to one of the addresses. While the other addresses of the tunnel work fine.

After investigating the problem, we noted that the Nortel end drops the host address (aka Subnet connection) and the Cisco still has the connection up. A tunnel reset fixes the problem. After talking with Nortel on the issue, they noted the issue could be from the Cisco's Phase One Re-Key. Nortel boxes do not do phase one re-key, and assuming this is effecting the connection. I was thinking the connection for that specific subnet (host) had a timeout. Anyone else ever experience this?

We were able to work around the issue, but making the subnet a subnet based connecion rather than the specific devices. That has seemed to resolve the problem, but I feel this is a bandaid, and would like to know if there is a resolution to the actual problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back