Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Tuning Resource Monitor - lower screen refresh rate

Status
Not open for further replies.

g33man

Programmer
Dec 22, 2006
CA
I am using Resource Monitor (PERFMON.EXE) to help diagnose times of intense HD activity. The issue is that the Disk Activity pane refreshes approx once per second. This is too fast to read the necessary parts of this very full pane. I've been searching for some way (registry setting?) to lower the refresh of this pane, so something like once per three seconds.
Tips appreciated.

Hi Dave,
No such menu. I'm using Resource Monitor v6 on Windows 7. I have attached a screenshot of the menus and tabs it offers. If you are referring to a different tool, which may meet my needs, please let me know what it is!
Thanks, Mike

Link

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=a300d6ef-295e-46da-906c-ae13990c1420&file=resmon.png
Resource Monitor and Performance Monitor are different things. If you go to the Start menu and type 'resource monitor' you get the former, if you type either 'perfmon' or 'performance monitor' you get the latter (although Resource Monitor does show up in the tasks list as PERFMON.EXE).

Performance Monitor has the Action menu that Dave mentions, but unfortunately although it can show disk activity (you want the 'Physical Disk' group) it just shows graphs of aggregated data.

What you need is something like diskmon from SysInternals (now part of Microsoft). This has loads of options.

Nelviticus

Thanks. I did look at diskmon prior to my post, and it does not offer the functionality I need. To recap, my goal is to identify which process(es) are keeping my HD intensely busy for minutes at a time. Windows Resource Monitor gives me exactly what I need - except that the refresh interval is too quick for me to read the info presented.

If only Windows Utils were open source..... that will be the day! :)

You can, of course, tell the Windows Resource Monitor to stop monitoring at any time, so you can look at the current data in detail. Simply resume monitoring when you're done. Sorting the data by clicking on the relevant column can also help make it easier to see the relative loads.

Cheers
Paul Edstein
[MS MVP - Word]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back