Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Tuning LTO Drives to improve write speed

Status
Not open for further replies.

bamber

Technical User
Jun 28, 2001
DE
I have just installed a Quantum ATL M1500 LTO unit, this has 2 tape units and is connected to a Sun E250.

It is connected via LVD scsi and has a network interface of 100mb's

When backing up it seems to be writing at 1.5 to 1.7 K/B's per second whereas I was expecting a considerably faster write speed from all the gumph that you read of around 10 - 20 Mb's per second.

We are running Solaris 2.6 with Networker 6.0.1

Does anybody have any suggestions ?????

Hi!

Check the network card set speed to 10 or 100 not autodetect
and set the duplex setting to full or half not autodetect

/Ulf

Hi Ulf

Thanks for the suggestion.

I have now hard set the switch and also updated the etc/system file to force full 100.

However I still get the same results, It's annoying because one of the servers that I plan to use the lto for already takes 30hrs plus to backup on a full backup.

I am now waiting for MTI to get back to me.

The usual test to try is a file copy to the backup server from the backup client. This will determine if it's a tape drive problem or a client or network problem.

Hi Guys

Thanks for your advice.

The problem was tracked down to two thing, we installed the Solaris 8 st.conf patch (Yes I know we are running 2.6) and also changed the st.conf.

A local backup of the host server worked at 17mb's and a networked backup at 7.5 Mbs per second.

I think the only way to further improve this is to upgrade to a gig nic and firbre channel.

By the way the patch added is in the latest reccommended patch bundle from Sun.

Bamber

100 Mb\s = 12,5 MB/s 60%= 7,5 MB/s

That´s ok for a 100 Mbit Network and your bottleleck.

I wrote a S95ndd in my rc3.d of my solaris servers to give versions upto 2.7 more ethernet buffering. (Solaris 8 finally changes the default from 8k to 24k (5 packets to 16 packets))

#!/bin/sh
# Set the TCP hiwater marks to 64K to improve SunSwift SBus
# Adapter performace. JJP 22-Aug-2000
case "$1" in
'start')
echo "Setting local kernel parameters...\c"
ndd -set /dev/tcp tcp_xmit_hiwat 65535
ndd -set /dev/tcp tcp_recv_hiwat 65535
ndd -set /dev/tcp tcp_cwnd_max 65534
echo ""
;;
'stop')
echo "No kernel parameters changed."
;;

*)
echo "Usage:$0 {start|stop}"
;;
esac
exit 0 I tried to remain child-like, all I acheived was childish.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back