Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Tungsten E battery 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

repete

Programmer
Nov 14, 2000
AU
I have a Tungsten E, and about 4 weeks ago left my AC charger at a hotel after attending a conference.

I finally got a replacement charger today, and after plugging it in to charge up my unit, was presented with screens on the palm as per my initial use of the unit. Seems like I am starting from scratch.

I'm not worried about any data loss, as a copy is still on my laptop pc, but have I lost all the applications I had previously installed ? or am I missing something here ?

Pete Bloomfield
Down Under

You've lost anything that was in RAM, which is basically everything that wasn't installed when you rec'd the unit. To clarify, there are two areas of memory that you should know about:

1. ROM
2. RAM

Anything application shipped from the manufacturer (pre-installed) on a handheld is in ROM. ROM is non-Volotile, meaning, if it looses power, it doesn't loose its contents (everything in it is safe).

RAM is where everything goes that you install, i.e. applications installed by you, addresses, todo entries, documents, etc. Anything in RAM will be lost if the battery goes dead.

How long a device can sit without being charged before the battery dies will vary:

-Was the battery fully charged when you left it?
-What kind of battery
-How much power the device draws when in powered-down state
-Whether or not the battery is fully conditioned

Four weeks isn't a surprising number for the Tungsten, it's about what we get out of our Dana by AlphaSmart device (Palm-based device sold by the company I work for)

I hope this helps.

AlphaGuy

AlphaGuy

perfect response, thanks for that, i now understand my position. certainly my case was an unusual one, having lost the chargeing cable, so i'm not at all concerned about battery life or performance. i have all my data safe and sound, and can re-install the few applications that i was using.

i love a spring clean-out.
[smile]

Pete Bloomfield
Down Under

just an update on the last post.
today i did a hotsync back to my desktop pc, and not only did all my contacts upload onto the tungsten unit, but all the applications i had previously installed were also reinstalled as well. with little change noted, i am back where i was before my battery lost its charge.

very happy
[smile]

Pete Bloomfield
Down Under

Mmmm, they way I understand it, the Tungsten E will 'trickle-charge' from a USB port (provided that port is equipped to supply power to devices). So, in future, absent a power brick you could use USB cable to do the job - don't need the palm software on the PC for charging purposes.

magistertc is correct - There are 2 USB cables I am aware of - one has sync and power connections, the other is sync only. At home, my USB cable is sync only and it charges my Tungsten E no problem.

Thanks, PDUNCAN
Memphis, TN - USA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back