Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

TTY extended over cable to remote admin location

Status
Not open for further replies.

SL100guy

IS-IT--Management
Sep 29, 2003
US
I need help discerning the pin out on the DB-9 and any other cables used for the TTY interface to PC.

My objective is to X-conn my TTY port to the MDF and then break it back out at a distant end to plug into the com port of my PC. I don't have anything which I can break apart and ascertain the required info.

Thanks in advance for your help Ladies and Gentlmen.

V/R

Being RS232 it has a distance limit of around 25 metres you can buy 232 boosters though

Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?

If you are usin a Nortel supplied cable, then it is RS-232 standard for a DB9.
1-DCD
2-RX
3-TX
4-DTR
5-SG
6-DSR
7-RTS
8-CTS
9-RI
Biglebowski is correct that there are distance limitations. You can try going further and may or may not succeed. If there is too much crosstalk along the way, the Nortel SDI port will get angry at you.

If available, consider connecting a term server to your network and connect the Meridian to the term server. This way you will be able to telnet from anywhere that you network is and it will be fast. If you do not have a term server, and you use Cisco routers, have your IT friends configure the AUX port (if not in use) so that you can connect your Meridian to it. If that is not available, you can pick up term servers cheap these days. There is a product called Xport, by lantronix which is a term server the size of a modular jack and costs about $50.

Otherwise, enjoy crossconnecting.

should work at that distance over cat 5.. if not black box makes a short haul modem for just that purpose.. cat 5 between to serial devices up to 500 yards

john poole
bellsouth business
columbia,sc

JP, as usual, is correct, I've run a direct connect, over Cat5, that would have beeen easy 300 - 400 metres, & had no errors.
Another way would be to use term servers. Lantronix make a single port, UDS-10 which is reasonably cheap. This would depend on the s/w your using. Optivity & MAT wont connect to an IP address, only a Meridian ehternet setup, modem or direct. Switchview & Procomm etc can use this.

Awesome.

Here is the deal:

I am going from the DB-9 on the back plane of the M-1 to the cable cross connect onto a cable that runs about 100 yards from the switch and then breaks out of the cross connect again into another DB-9

What my Q is:

What is the pin to pin cut sheet ie

DB-9a DB-9b
1-DCD -> 1-DCD
2-RX -> 3-TX
3-TX -> 2-RX
4-DTR -> 7-RTS
5-SG -> ?
6-DSR -> ?
7-RTS -> 4-DTR ->
8-CTS -> 6-DSR ->
9-RI -> 8-CTS ->

Is this right? It doesn't look right, but this is all I could find on the web. The pin to pin digram is what I am in dire need of fellas. Thanks in advance for your avid assistance Ladies and Gents.

V/R
SL-1/100Guy

"SL-1 NTP's suck eggs"

i would short 5 to 6 in the 9a, might not need to, but it looks workable... i would do 1 to 1 2 to 3 3 to 2 and short all other pins back to their selves,

DB-9a DB-9b
1-DCD -> 1-DCD
2-RX -> 3-TX
3-TX -> 2-RX
4-DTR -] 7-RTS ]
5-SG -] ]
6-DSR -] ]
7-RTS -] 4-DTR ]
8-CTS -] 6-DSR ]
9-RI -] 8-CTS ]....then you'll just need 3 conductors between them data set ready, clear to send, ready to send, will get thier sg local, so they will always be active, seeing their signal as a far end hardware handshake

john poole
bellsouth business
columbia,sc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back