Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

TT Ethical?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gbaughma

IS-IT--Management
Staff member
Nov 21, 2003
US
So.... how ethical is it that I read Tek-Tips every day at work, under the auspices of "research"? ;)

Just my 2¢

"In order to start solving a problem, one must first identify its owner." --Me
--Greg

It depends.

How strict is your company's Acceptible Use Policy? Could being here be legal under it?

Do you learn things here that your employer has benefitted from your knowing them?

Want the best answers? Ask the best questions! TANSTAAFL!

Actually, yeah... I've saved my employer probably hundreds of hours of my programming with stuff I've learned on here. :) (I was being silly, BTW)

Just my 2¢

--Greg

I don't see a problem with it, personally. I check here at least once a day (more if I have an issue I can't resolve).

I find it handy seeing that I'm the only IT person here and unfortunately I don't know everything there is about IT like the users think I should. The information on TT is like having another IT co-worker here. Plus talk geek without anyone having giving me the "deer in headlights" look.

LadySlinger:

I know what you mean. I'm the only IT person at my branch, and even though the IT department is probably 35 people at Corporate, I do some innovative things that they're not doing.

And I agree 100% with the "talking geek" stuff. LOL... as a matter of fact, our Program Manager was just in my office, and I had on my screen the code for my latest "big" project.... he says "So, can anybody write that stuff?" I said "Well, if you know the language...." he said "How do you learn that? Years of college?" I responded "For me? A *lot* of bathroom reading and experimentation.... <LOL>" Then I showed him TT. He said it looked like a great resource. :)

Of course, it might have been a little unfair of me, since I was in one of the more esoteric sections of code, where it was doing a lot of database manipulation.... of course, I read it just like reading the sunday comics nowadays... I find myself making notes in Javascript sometimes. <ROFL>

Just my 2¢

--Greg

Greg -

ROFL. Do you remember the Futurama episode where Bender was looking at a robot nudy magazine and all it was was a flow chart?
Somedays I'm like that when people are showing me what their projects do: "Ooo yea baby, show me more!" LOL.

Bender ROCKS! I have every futurama episode... kinda scary.

"Hey Bender, look! It's that guy you are!" (Probably one of the silliest lines I've heard in a while.....)

Bender: Let us pray... 1001011010010101101010......

I'm also a big Family Guy fan.... I think Peter gets away with saying the things I only *wish* I could say once in a while...

Lois: Oh, good! That means I don't have to cook tonight!
Peter: No... go ahead and cook, and we'll throw it out. I don't want you to get rusty.

<ROFL>

You know, saying something like that would get me *SO* slapped at my house. lol

Just my 2¢

--Greg

I've had a lot of questions answered here, I've answered a few back, but it's been a net plus for me and my company.

If more than 1 goose are geese, why aren't more than 1 moose meese??

Last time I saw this question, someone replied:
"My name's X, and I'm addicted to TT...."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back