Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

TSM server DB backup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Outsyder

MIS
Jul 20, 2005
CA
HI.

I was going through my inventory of tapes and found TONS of them used at 0% that are at my Offsite site. As far as i could tell, there is only the Database backup of the TSM server on each tapes.
We run the command "backup db devclass=LTO2_CLASS type=full volume=600816 wait=yes" through a script to dump the DB to tape, then ship it to our offsite.
I find this to be a good waste of LTOs. How are you guys handling your TSM DB backups? Suggestions?

Also, is it normal to do a Show Content of that tape and it shows nothing?

THanks.

we do something similar, although if you q volhist type=dbbackup how many do you have? We only keep maybe a weeks worth. If you need to restore your TSM dB chances are you'll use the newest DB backup usually... so q volhist type=dbbackup I see 5 - so there ya go... we keep 5 db backups....

Thanks for the reply.
I show 9 of them when issuing the command, but i have about 20 of them at my offsite location. Something must have happened and they are not being brought back...

I'll see if i can find out why. Maybe 9 is a bit much too...I may get that # number down.

Thanks.

In drm they should go into vaultretrieve status... q drm wherestate=vaultretrieve

I used to take dbbackup to disk,on a daily basis,and then have another TSM server in another datacenter backup that filesystem,with it's own tsm database.

rgds,

R.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back