Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

TSM 5.1 error ANR1144W storage media inaccessible

Status
Not open for further replies.

davemak

IS-IT--Management
Aug 12, 2001
DE
Just upgraded out TSM server to TSM 5.1 platform is AIX 4.3.3. Now getting problems with restores and reclamation, error 'ANR1144W storage media inaccessible'. Have checked tape with 'q vol' looks ok and in read/write state, ran 'q libv' and tape is showing, have even checked that the tape is physically in the library (3584 LTO) as we offsite tapes, the tape was in the library. Tried forcing the tape to be read using the 'move data' command but came back with the ANR1144W error. Has anybody come across this problem and more to the point a solution?

You didn't mention a maintenance level but make sure you're at the latest maintenance level (e.g. 5.1.1). Thats probably not the problem though. The problem sounds like TSM is unable to access the media for whatever command you're running (in this case, move media, restores, and reclamation).

At the TSM admin prompt if you do a "help anr1144w" you can get more information about the error. In the text of that message it says "explanation: during move data processing for the indicated volume, a required volume cannot be mounted". Again indicating that the TSM server software is unable to mount the media for some reason.

So a few questions.. when issuing the commands does your tape library attempt to mount any cartridges?

when issuing "q vol" you say everything looks good and is in read/write state, but how about "q vol f=d"? Look at the field "Volume status". Are the volumes "on-line"? or some other status? If their status is unavailable or offsite, that could explain why it's unable to mount the volume.

Do a "q act" for the timeframe that you're attempting any tape related commands. Are there any other errors logged during that period?

ultimately you need to determine why the required volume cannot be mounted. I can think of a number of reasons why this may occur but often many of them have additional pieces of information in the activity log indicating why. I would probably even run a "dsmadmc -consolemode" and watch that screen while i perform the above command to see what gets logged there.

Have the problem sorted !! Checked out the Tivoli support site and found a few hits on the problem, even if there were MVS (OS/390) related. Problem stated that TSM 4.1 and upwards are affected.

Seems that when a tape is in use TSM maintains an 'in use' list internally, however sometimes it does not release tapes from this list and you get 'anr1144w' messages for no apparent reason. The workaround at the moment is to bounce TSM, this did work for me. Implications are that you can get the error at any time if the process or session involves a tape mount. Till there is a permanent fix I am bouncing TSM on a daily basis.

daily? yikes! I would be on the horn with tivoli support asking for a fix if it's recurring like that. Seems odd if they know about it that there isn't already a patch out for it. tivoli support would definetly be able to help you in that case.

Are you define PATH??

In TSM 5.1 must define Library PATH, Drive PATH.

PATH is defined with device name of OS

Good luck

Taesang, Kim Korea, Republic of.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back