Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

TS Licensing on 2k3 domain 2k TS server

Status
Not open for further replies.

MCSAbrian

MIS
May 28, 2002
US
I have a Win2k server that was my Terminal Server and Terminal Server Licensing server. Over the weekend we upgraded the domain to Win2k3 with AD. I know that I now have to put the License server on a domain controller but how do I move my 30 TS CALs that I purchased from the old license server to the new one? Also what is the determining factor in how many CALS I need? When the license server was on the Win2k box I only needed CALS for the 98, ME, XPhome, clients. Is this still the same since the actual terminal server is still the Win2k box or do I need 1 CAL for each since the license server is now the W2k3 box? Thanks

Technically you do need 1 CAL for each machine conncting, whether it is a Win2K machine or not. Microsoft had a grace period for a while where Win2K CAls were not needed but that has expired.

You can leave your license server as is if you want and point all of your other servers to it by editing the registry of the servers if you want.

This would save you the pain of reactivating your licenses which is a headache. Refer to MSKB 279561.

I hope you find this post helpful. Please let me know if it was.

Regards,

Mark

The license service won't start on the old box though because it is not a domain controller. Is there a way around this?

Hmm, the service should start even if it is not a DC. Will have to get back to you on this. I don't have access to a comparable server right now.

I hope you find this post helpful. Please let me know if it was.

Regards,

Mark

If you upgraded the actual TS licensing server to 2003, it can run as a member server. The requirement for the licensing server to run on a domain controller only applies to a TS licensing server running Windows 2000.

If you upgrade a 2000 TS licensing server to 2003, the database is preserved, but you will need to call the Microsoft Clearinghouse to reactivate the licenses. This is a free call.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back