Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Trying to vectorise these images....

Status
Not open for further replies.

doa24uk

Technical User
Mar 25, 2008
GB
Hi guys,

I'm new here so be gentle ... I've been trying to follow this tutorial (illustrator"image tracing"tutorial) but all I'm getting is very rounded traces and I can't seem to get the paintbrush bit of the tutorial working at all.

All I want to do is vectorise and improve the quality of the three attached logo's. ... They're all just black & white outlines so shouldn't be difficult but I'm a complete Illustrator beginner!

Help / Advice please ... I'm not gonna ask you to do it for me -- plus I really wanna learn how to do it myself for future!

Do you have larger versions of those images? That would certainly help. To be honest, I'd be more inclined towards tracing images like that manually with the pen tool. It's an essential Illustrator skill to learn anyway, and once you get the hang of it, you should be able to redraw those images very quickly and accurately.

How do I trace with pen tool? Is there any way to make it simpler, seems like it would take forever to do.
Where can I find the illustrator"image tracing"tutorial that you mention?

OK I've figured out how to do this.

It really is an amazing skill to learn!

Simply open your image in illustrator and zoom in until you can clearly see the pixel outline.

Select the Pen Tool (Shortcut Key - P)

For straight lines I found it helpful not to insert too many points, try for just 2 - one at one end & one at the other.

Then just put anchor points round the object working from one place round the object to the other. Finally, click your first point again to join the ourline.

There you have it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back