Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Trying to use Word 2007 to email via Thunderbird.

Status
Not open for further replies.

stduc

Programmer
Nov 26, 2002
GB
Problem is word simply hangs if I click on the office button, then send to then email.

In Internet options, Programs I don't have an email option though. So I think that's the first issue. I have Thunderbird installed as the default email program.

So, given the above how do I get internet explorer (v8) to set thunderbird as the default email program?

I did that already. Made no difference.

I found a work around to get the job jobbed using openoffice - one in the unmentionables for microsoft. However I would still like to know how to get back the email program box in IE if that's possible.

What is your Default E-mail program? Are all the defaults set for this program in Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Default Programs\Set Default Programs

See if these Registry entries mention your E-mail program.

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\mailto\shell\open\command

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Clients\Mail

when within Word or Excel you click File Send To select Mail Receipient (as Attachment)

linney,

The default mail program is set to Thunderbird.

The mailto key seems to be set to OUTLOOK which I have never configured and do not want to use.

The clients\mail key has sub keys for Hotmail, Outlook, Thunderbird and Windows Mail

I've kind of 'given up' on using word for mailshots as openoffice is so much easier. But I am curious why IE does not have a button in internet options > programs for Email, newsgroups, etc. I only have one for HTML editor and internet programs.

IE/ Tools/ Internet Options/ Programs/ Internet programs/ Set programs, is the best IE can offer.

Have you got the Command Bat customized to show the E-mail button along the Command Bar in IE?

No, but do you mean Send page/link by email? also no

Some people with the same issue have solved it by making windows mail or outlook the default email program and sending something from it once and then open thunderbird agree to using it as default and it started to work properly after that.

Try right-clicking on IE's Command Bar, it is hard to see it if you are not showing it (the Command Bar), you have to look for Customize/ Add or remove Commands, and see what's on offer there to get them to show on the actual Command Bar. For what it is worth my Command Bar is 5 lines from the top of IE. There are two steps, they are, show the Command Bar, and then Customize it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back