Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Trying to use a previously owned switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

DCAMP

MIS
Oct 1, 2002
US
Hello,

I recently got a cisco catalyst 2900 XL switch, and I'm trying to configure it. I got it used with no guarantee that it was working, so I'm thinking there may be a problem with it.

When I plug it into my network, it continually shows messages like the following

00:20:55: %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface FastEthernet0/1, changed state to up
00:22:56: %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface FastEthernet0/1, changed state to down
00:20:59: %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface FastEthernet0/1, changed state to up
00:21:00: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface FastEthernet0/1, changed state to down

This happens constantly on any port I try, and I'm not sure what to do. To the best of my knowledge I've set the switch up for a very basic configuration, and I don't know what to even look for. Any suggestions??

Thanks, I've tried this already, and it is still doing the same thing.

What happens if you just plug a PC in?
When you say you plug it into your network what do you mean? connect it to another switch, connect it to a router etc?
If you are connecting it to another switch do you know the STP topology of the network and the configuration of this other switch?

Andy

Oh sorry about the confusion there, this happens when I plug a PC into the switch. I know the NIC on the PC is good, and I know the cable I'm connecting it with is good, so I'm assuming it's something with the switch.

You say you know the cable is good but the question is are you using the correct one ? ARe you sure it's a straight thru cable ? Either you have a connection or you don't which is a layer 1 issue and not a switch issue , what you pasted so far indicates the switch is ok . Do you get a link light on the switch and on your pc nic card ?? Also make sure the switch port and nic card are set for auto for speed and duplex .

Actually had this happen just last week. One of our 2950's would fail to work after about a minute or so. When consoled in I saw the interfaces going up and down like you did. Ended up replacing the switch with a 3550.

Yeah, I'm thinking the switch will need to be replaced. Kind of a shame, I never was able to use it. I suppose I'd need a service contract from Cisco to get this replaced too?

Try a newer IOS down loaded from the Cisco site. See if that fixes the problem before you chuck the switch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back