Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations gmmastros on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Trying to upgrade from Windows 7 - Windows 10 keep getting an error.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nikoval

MIS
May 4, 2022
TR
Hi I am trying to update my daughters older computer to windows 10. It is an HP Compact dc7880p. It is running windows 7 and is a 64bit system.

We get partially through the Windows 10 install and say it cannot be upgraded until we remove an app that incompadible with windows 10. The app is called "Vitual Box". Probelm is I don't think this app is actually installed on that computer. We have looked everywhere and can't find it. Others seem to have had this problem as well.

VirtualBox can put a few hooks in the system that may remain if it is not uninstalled properly. To clean up any mess, you might reinstall VirtualBox and then uninstall it properly.

When you say you have looked everywhere, have you looked in the Windows Control Panel for Program/Features and removed Oracle VirtualBox from there? Are there files at "C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox"? Are there still VirtualBox network adapters in your Windows Device Manager?

Since you are reinstalling, there's always the possibility of opening the Registry and searching for VirtualBox - with extreme prejudice.
Or you can simplify your life by backing up all important data and simply wiping Windows 7 entirely.
Neither options are for the faint of heart.

I've got nothing to hide, and I demand that you justify what right you have to ask.

pmonett said:
Or you can simplify your life by backing up all important data and simply wiping Windows 7 entirely.
IMO it's the best option

pmonett said:

I agree with @pmonett and @mikrom... a 'clean install' will be the least problematic.

See this How to Clean Install Windows 10 tutorial for step-by-step instructions with screenshots. Make sure you do the 'clean install' offline, i.e. not connected to the internet, so you can create and use a local account.

The HP Compact dc7880p uses bog-standard components, e.g. Broadcom or Intel Pro/1000 ethernet and HP wifi (if fitted), so - even though the HP support website says it's not Windows 10-compatible - I can't foresee any possible hardware driver issues. I've taken even older HP DC SFF systems and HP ProBook laptops up to Windows 10 with absolutely no issues.

Rick998 said:
Make sure you do the 'clean install' offline, i.e. not connected to the internet, so you can create and use a local account.
Yes, exactly - this is very important.
You must tell to Microsoft that you don't have Internet access.
Otherwise they will force you to create an online account.

MS won't force you to create an online account - you can proceed without giving an email address.

I had W10 running on my DC7700SFF until last year. DC7880 should have no problem. In fact, if it has W7, you will probably have the W7 licence key stuck on the chassis. You can use that as the W10 licence key.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back