Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

trying to update ncr aloha system from windoes 98 to xp

Status
Not open for further replies.

whosurpopi

Technical User
Jun 7, 2012
US
I have three older aloha stations that I would like to upgrade from 98 to XP, since they have no disk drive, and my external doesn't have the drivers on 98 the only way I could think of doing this was to remove the hard drive, slave it in another CPU with a CD drive and put XP on. The drive took XP and works nice on host CPU, but not in the pos. What should I be doing to upgrade this?

I forgot to add, it keeps rebooting prior to windows screen and even does it in safe mode.

Driver differences are probably what's causing the reboot.

You need to run the XP installation just until the first reboot, so it doesn't attempt to install drivers for the other machine but rather for the aloha system once it reboots.

Alternatively, if the aloha has a free IDE port, you could connect an internal CD drive to it even if you have to have it outside the case, just while you get XP installed on it.

----------------------------------
Phil AKA Vacunita
----------------------------------
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

Web & Tech

Wow this takes some memory probing. But if I remember correctly.

Attach 98 drive as slave in new pc (so it doesn't boot from it)

Copy XP set-up files across (look at slip streaming xp3 in)

You may want to create an ISO image of 98 drive just in case it goes wrong.

Put 98 back in orginal pc.

Boot into 98

Run XP setup files.

Robert Wilensky:
We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back