Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Trying to Understand the Queue

Status
Not open for further replies.

bulkmail

MIS
Jun 11, 2002
US
Hi,

I know that it is acceptable to have "x" amount of outbound mail in the queue. My question is this; why are there certian outbound messages with no originator? And the destination shows up multiple times in a row(eg, domain.com will show up ten times in the queue).
Also, there are some messages going out bound stuck in the queue from accounts that have been disabled (but mailbox not deleted only hidden) and no one has been accessing those boxes too. Really though, I think I have an exessive amount of outbound mail in the queue and I ty to delete some but more keep coming back. I checked and we are not an open relay.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

BM

Spam Spam spam!

Its propably mail that is being relayed but you have configured (hopefully) not to be a relay host (if not check out the FAQ's). And you Exchange server doesn't know how to process them.

You can either get anti spam software (I'd recommend Sybari Antigen for all Anti-Virus and Spam protection, its killer software) or just continue to delete the messages manually.

Probably not the answer you wanted, co's I don't know any other way to stop it.

Iain

Nah,
Like I said, we are not an open relay. I think it seems like a stupid virus.

Thanks,

BM

You might have a nice little loop going on there! Especially if you have the same domain name umpteen times in a row.

Who's that girl! :)

How do you stop the loop?
I delete the queues but the same ones seem to come back. I think.

Brontosaurus had a great answer in another thread. See thread 10-518095. What you are seeing stuck in your IMS are NDRs that have had the "from" address stripped out because it is an invalid return address. The above named thread has great information about what you are seeing and how to fix it.
Good Luck solving an industry-wide problem!

actually, when i did the search on the thread i was not able to pull any results. do you happen to know who started it or what the title is?

Thanks,

BM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back